History Of Murphys
This place is called Murphys because it was founded by the brothers John and Daniel Murphy after they discovered gold in 1849. The objective of many immigrants coming over the Sierras by Ebbetts Pass, Murphys Flat and surrounding mines produced 20 million dollars in gold. Early regulations restricted claims to 8 ft. square. A suspension flume conveying water across Murphys Creek and drainage race draining the flat were two outstanding accomplishments of early day miners.
The business portion of town was destroyed by fire August 20, 1859. The Peter L. Traver Building, a general store, was spared by the fire. Constructed in 1856, it is the oldest stone building in Murphys. Its iron shutters and sand on the roof protected it from the fires of 1874, and 1893 as well. Joaquin Murieta bandit is said to have begun his murderous career here.
The Murphys Hotel is one of the oldest hotels still operating in California. First named after James L. Sperry and John Perry on August 20, 1856, it was renamed the Mitchler Hotel in 1882. Notable guests include Mark Twain and former President Ulysses S. Grant. In 1945 it was named Murphys Hotel by the McKimins family. Since 2003 long-time Calaveras county resident Dorian Faught became the sixth owner of the Murphys Hotel.
Murphys is a charming gold rush town with many ‘up scale’ shops and art galleries as well as restaurants and shady parks along the strong flowing mill chase. This charismatic town is at the center of the Calaveras Wine Country with many award winning vineyards to choose from. Some gold can still be found in the streams in this area and the gold bearing quartz veins can be found in slate and schist, and have mostly a rosy color.
Murphys is located in Calaveras County, in the Sierra Nevada foothills approximately 75 miles east of Stockton. Take Highway 99 to Highway 4 and travel east through Farmington, Copperopolis and Angels Camp to the town of Murphys, or continue furthur up the hill to Arnold.
*community information courtesy of myMotherLode